Decisiv has built a unique cloud based collaboration platform that connects people, places, systems and things around service management for commercial assets. Decisiv’s partners include Volvo and Mack Trucks, Ryder Truck Systems, NationaLease, and many others. Decisiv’s Service Relationship Management platform is used by over 4,000 service providers managing over 4M assets.
Why Work With Us?
We’re a growing “mature startup” focused on ecosystem building. We’re not a social gaming gold rush company and we’re not about sweat equity or burning the midnight oil. We invest in clean code, cloud computing, continuous delivery, and well-crafted APIs because they help us to delight our customers. We try new things, and we know when (not) to use them. We invest in our team through conferences, get-togethers, and group learning.
Job Description: Data Engineer
As a data engineer on Decisiv’s analytics team, you will be responsible for the operation and evolution of Decisiv’s data warehouse. This will include designing new data structures, building ETL processes to populate the database, supporting reporting and business intelligence, and helping Decisiv’s technology leadership map out the architectural direction for data engineering and analytics.
- Evolve the structure of the warehouse to accommodate new data or changes to source data structures
- Ensure the continuous operation of the ETL process that feeds the warehouse including monitoring execution of batch processes, fixing issues as they occur, and coordinating with others to resolve issues and communicate status
- Ensure the availability of the data warehouse in collaboration with the DevOps team
- Manage configuration changes and version upgrades for the Jaspersoft reporting environment in collaboration with the DevOps team
- Support report and dashboard authoring efforts including troubleshooting issues, tuning queries for performance, and creating aggregate tables as needed to simplify reporting
- Support Decisiv’s technology leadership in mapping out the architecture of the warehouse and analytics in the future including technology evaluation, changes to the underlying data model of the warehouse, and changes to the data flows in and out of the warehouse
Desired Skills and Experience
- 5 to 10 years of experience designing, building, and operating relational databases with some experience in dimensional data warehousing
- Understanding of database design and the performance implications of design choices
- Deep understanding of SQL including the ability to optimize query performance
- Experience building ETL processes to move data into a data warehouse or reporting database
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent experience
- Experience with shell scripting in Linux using Bash
- Familiarity with AWS services including RDS, EC2, and S3
- User-level understanding of Amazon Web Services, ability to use the console for monitoring, familiarity with the AWS CLI
- Ability to clearly communicate configuration needs to the DevOps team (e.g., security group settings, needed roles, etc.)
- Familiarity with Kinesis streaming and integration to Redshift via Firehouse is a plus
- Experience using Git/Github for revision control and Jira or a similar tool for issue and task tracking
- Experience configuring a BI tool like Jaspersoft, Zoomdata, or Pentaho is preferred, but not required
- Experience with Redshift or another columnar database (e.g., Vertica, Greenplum) is preferred, but not required
- Basic knowledge of Ruby is preferred, but not required
Candidates must be located in the United States and be able to work legally in the United States. Absolutely no companies – only individual developers who want to join a team and are looking for long term employment.
Washington DC, Richmond VA, Baltimore MD, Greensboro NC, Charlotte NC, and Raleigh NC preferred
Health & Dental Insurance
Flexible work environment/schedule depending on role
Work with a global team of talented, highly motivated, and supportive innovators
Curious to see how our team works?