Principal Software Engineer
Decisiv is looking for a Principal Software Engineer with deep insight and experience solving a wide array of software problems and a track record of leading by example in establishing and evangelizing architectural and procedural best practices.
Are you comfortable jumping into strange and antiquated code bases, debugging obscure and difficult to reproduce glitches, translating business requirements into a technical specification, and creating exploratory prototypes to vet new technologies? Do you want to shape the technology and culture of an engineering team, cultivate a commitment to codecraft, and work across teams to build composable microservice-driven components that meet immediate business need as well as provide a scalable tech platform for the future? Are you passionate about performance, test coverage, and agile software development? If so, you’ll be right at home with us.
Decisiv is a rapidly-growing industry leader in the asset management and service supply chain marketplace. Our size means you’ll have major opportunities to expand your skill-set and contribute in a big way to the future of our product. Accordingly, our Engineering team is a group of self-starters, eager to produce quickly and solve big problems for our customers. We’re agile, flexible, and autonomous, working remotely via Slack, GitHub, Jira, Confluence, and Zoom.
Your career growth and development is top-of-mind for us. You’ll learn a lot here. We truly believe that your success is our success. And while we will expect a lot from you, we also value your life outside of work; recharging is important, and we strive to offer an environment that reflects that.
- Designing and building high quality, functional components in the context of AWS backed microservices to meet business needs
- Providing guidance and oversight to multiple development teams working on different products or technologies to ensure that the technologies interoperate or connect to each other appropriately.
- Reviewing, refactoring, revising, extending, testing, and documenting new and existing code
- Contributing to projects during discovery, specification, and ticketing
- Providing reliable LOE estimates for clearly defined chunks of work
- Upholding and actively contributing to a culture of principled software development
- Mentoring and pairing with developers of all levels
- Performing investigations, bug squashing, performance optimizing, writing post mortems, participating in standups and retrospectives, etc
- Regularly and thoroughly communicating with project stakeholders through a variety of tools (JIRA, Slack, Zoom, etc)
Desired Skills & Experience
- One of these:
- BS in Computer Science (or related field) and a minimum of 12 years related experience developing web applications in a professional context
- or advanced degree in Computer Science (or related field) with a minimum of 8 years related work experience;
- or 15+ years equivalent work experience.
- Extensive experience with building web-based microservices using Ruby (Ruby on Rails) or Elixir (Phoenix)
- Practical knowledge of and interest in:
- Big Data
- Fluency in
- SQL (PostgreSQL)
- Asynchronous messaging systems
- Microservice architecture
- AWS services and technologies
- Functional Programming
- Data pipelines / streams
- Various Open API Specifications
- Bonus points if you are conversant in the following
- Elixir / Phoenix
Show Us What You’ve Got
We would love to see your GitHub account, code samples or anything that shows your work. Email your resume directly to email@example.com.